Saturday, March 6, 2010

Caprica

I never watched Battlestar Galactica, and I have never considered myself a fan of science fiction, yet I find myself watching and enjoying the new Syfy series Caprica. I saw many commercials advertising it, read about it several times in Entertainment Weekly, and saw a segment about it on The Soup, so yesterday I started watching the series on Syfy.com.

The show is a prequel to Battlestar Galactica, so anyone who liked that show should love this show. However, whereas Battlestar Galactica developed a large male fan base, this series is formatted in a way that hopes to reach a larger demographic. For people like me who haven't seen Battlestar, Caprica holds its own so we can enjoy the show without feeling like we are somehow missing information.

I really like the show. It is interesting how it takes place in a futuristic world that is far more technologically advanced than we currently are, yet the city of Caprica appears to be a 1950's America town. The cars and wardrobe are throwbacks to the 1950's, so in spite of the advancements in technology the show almost seems like it is from the past.

I guess when I think of science fiction, I think of people in space in funny costumes and using weird devices. Basically, I imagine a storyline and characters that are too far out there to be real. How can you relate to that? Well, I am wrong. Between Eureka and Caprica I am realizing that Syfy is actually a very approachable genre that is fun and entertaining.

The show is still new, so you can watch the whole series online (except the pilot which was released Spring of 2009). Check it out on hulu or syfy.

Sorry for the lack of plot details, but I really think it is a show that explains itself best.

No comments: